Friday 19 September 2008

My experiences with technology

I find technology very difficult to get away from. I used to be really nervous about it. We had one single very basic computer when I was at school - and I broke it. It was an accident, really it was, but it made me nervous around these newfangled things.

In recent years I've got my own laptop, MP3 player, setup my own secured wireless network at home and learnt the intricacies of my mobile phone. I love getting to grips with new technology, as long as there's nobody standing over me telling me what to do. Playing with the wireless network and the laptop, kept me happily occupied for quite some time. The timing was bad though - for a moment I actually felt drowned in new tech. We bought the laptop, router, digital camera and new phones all in the same week. Thankfully it was a moment that passed quickly and has never returned.

I'm now just as happy playing with other people's devices. Mum sends me SMS messages all the time now that I've helped her work it all out.

My job entails a HUGE amount of tech savvy. Such a large proportion of my work relies on it. I purchase such a variety of print and electronic materials. I need to be able to troubleshoot potential access problems, provide management information at short notice, manage a large budget with audit trails, communicate with other staff and with vendors, find quick answers to problematic questions, and think at least 3 steps ahead.

It is a great challenge, but I do like that. That being said, I do prefer my challenges to be realistic, so let's not start pushing the boat out, alright :-)

No comments: