Tuesday 9 September 2008

7 & 1/2 habits of successful lifelong learners

As part of the Week 2 'Discover exercises' I need to decide which habits among the 7 & 1/2 are the easiest and the hardest for me.

The easiest habit for me is Habit Number 7 & 1/2 itself - Play
I find the best way for me to learn anything technical is to sit down and play around with it - see what it can do, learn its weaknesses and its wonders. It's the way I've learned how to make my own personal blog the way that it is, update my own website, setup a new PC, use a digital camera and play with the graphics, understand the workings of a new doll I've never seen before. Playing is second nature to me - no comments from the floor please!

The hardest habit for me is Habit Number 3 - View problems as challenges
It has always been one of my failings. All too frequently I see a problem as being a stress, a crisis - something to lose sleep over. I can see that I really need to begin seeing what I can learn from these events rather than just get into a flap over them. On the occasions where I have learnt a lesson as the result of a problem, I've only seen it as the result of a failure on my part to perceive a potential pitfall. Habit Number 3 will be a tough one to learn, but will be very valuable.

No comments: